Background

ST. MATTHIAS CHURCH, Westmount

Anglican Diocese of Toronto Archives

Lawrence Avenue Bridge looking West towards
Scarlett Road after Hurricane Hazel struck the area

1895
This church building was built as Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Malton in Peel County. And it fell into disuse in later years.
1922
The Rector and Wardens of St. Philip’s Anglican Church in the Township of Etobicoke purchased the corner lot on the east side of Scarlett Road at Kingdom Street for a mission church in the Township’s Westmount Community.
1923
The same group acquired the vacant Holy Trinity Church building in Malton and relocated it to the Westmount site renaming it St. Matthias Anglican Church.
1954
On October 15th, Hurricane Hazel caused the flooding of the Humber River. The church building became a focal point as a relief centre for nearby areas of the Westmount community during and after the flood.
1957
The St. Matthias congregation relocated. The property at 691 Scarlett Road was transferred to the Anglican Diocese of Toronto.
2003
On April 16, 2003, City Council designated the property at 691 Scarlett Road under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-Law No. 264-2003.
2011
This heritage building named Toronto Bell Cote was awarded for the 2011 Toronto Heritage Grant Program. And Toronto Bell Cote Heritage Preservation was established.
2014
The restorative work was completed with love and the building was activated with modern technology.
2015
Toronto Bell Cote received the Merit Award from Heritage Toronto.